What is a Niche?
When you first start affiliate marketing, you will soon learn how to find a profitable niche. But what is a niche? A niche is a specific market segment you have chosen to promote your favourite product or service.
For example, you may believe you have found a niche in the market such as gardening, but it is too broad; so, it needs to be narrowed to a specific area of gardening such as outdoor gardening, indoor gardening, aerogardens, hydroponics, gardening tools and equipment and so on. These segments have their requirements, customers and products.
How to find your niche
When we first start thinking about a niche, some of you tend to struggle because you may have different things that you are interested in or may like to do, so you must choose the right niche for you.
Thomas Smale in 5 Steps You can use to find your Niche suggests doing due diligence.
What will you learn from choosing a niche?
Once you have decided on a niche, you will learn
- Try new ideas
Now it’s time to identify your niche
The best way to identify what you like is to make a list of your
- What you would like to learn
You could choose either a product niche, service niche or making money niche
You can have experience in your niche, but you don’t need to be qualified; also, you can learn to become an expert.
Some Helpful tips to get you started
- What do you like to do with you free time?
- The weekend is coming up; what are you looking forward to doing?
- What would you like to learn more about? What topics interest you
- What clubs or organisations are you a member of?
Helpful self-assessment to choosing your niche
- What are your interests?
- What are you passionate about?
- To help your audience, what problems do you think you can solve?
- Who are your competitors
- Have you chosen niche profitable
- Try out your ideas
Enjoying different things
We all enjoy different things that can change as the season changes with them. For Instance
You may love playing a sport such as
- Cricket in the summer
- Football during winter
What your audience wants from you
So, you have decided on your niche, and you will need to provide your audience with a conversational piece of writing specifically to your niche.
Your content needs to be
- easy to read
- offer solutions to a problem
- provide reviews on the products and services that you have written about.
Benefits of choosing the right niche
Choosing the right niche that you are interested in and passionate about is essential because it will show in your written posts on a topic.
You will have lots of content to write about on your chosen niche, so you should make it enjoyable, something that you like and love talking about and learn more about, for instance, your hobby or sport.
How you can help solve a problem for your audience?
We have all searched on the Internet for answers to our questions, problems, how to solve something or do something, and we need to think about how we can solve our potential customer’s problems.
How you can find additional information about your potential audience and what their experiences are in your specific niche
- Chat rooms of your favourite niche
- Quora, Reddit, product forums, Question and Answer sections on a product
- Try Google Trends to identify a trend in your specific niche
Check out your competitors
Creating a spreadsheet for all your competitors, including their website addresses, is good when you begin to check your competitors.
Do you think you can do something different from these guys? Is there something missing that you can use to differentiate your niche and become successful?
Are your competitors
- Creating high-quality content that answers their audience questions
- Are they providing a transparent and authentic presence
- Are there opportunities for you to enter the niche market
Choosing a profitable Niche
Is my niche profitable? This is a valid question that we all would like to answer, but things can go wrong in a market because trends have changed, and your business needs to change with upcoming new ideas; otherwise, your chance of succeeding profit.
According to Brian Edmondson, the best most profitable niches that have staying power include:
- Weight Loss and Fitness
- Body health and alternative medicine
- Dating and relationships for all groups
- Our pets
- Making Money through Investments
- Beauty products and treatments
- Technology and electronic gadgets
- Finance: personal, controlling debt
- Making money online
Have you noticed cooking and gardening are not listed as one of the top ten suggested niches?
Your next step is to start making money online from your chosen niche
Check out affiliate networks such as
- CJ Affiliate
Still can’t find an affiliate program for your niche, then try typing into Google:
Your niche + Affiliate program
Golf balls + Affiliate Program
How are your competitors marketing products on social Media?
- Email marketing
- Affiliate partnering
So, let’s get going
Now you have learned how to find a profitable niche from a specific market segment, and you can start creating lots of content that show your passion, excitement, knowledge, and experience.
You can access Choosing a Niche by Kyle at Wealthy Affiliate and watch his video in Level 1-Lesson 3 in Getting Started.